Years ago when Scottish clans fought with each others they needed special elements that would recognizable on the battle field. Each clan had its war cry that would also have psychological effect on the enemy and help to find members of the clan on the battle field. Similar purpose sometimes was connected with tartans.
* Campbell – Cruachan!
* Stewart – Creag an Sgairbh! – (“Cormorants Rock”) – to commemorate first clan castle
* Bruce – Garg’n Uair Dhuisgear – (“Fierce when rosed”)
* MacLean – Fear eil’ air son Eachainn – (“Another for Hector”) -
to commemorate heroes of legend about seven brothers that fought in the Inverkething battle (1651) and died when defending Hector MacLean
* MacLean (2) – Bas no Beatha – (“Death or Life!”) – to commemorate part of prayer of saint Columba
* MacDonald – Creagan an fhithich – (“The Rock of the Raven”) – the place of clan’s tower
* Cameron – Sons of the Hounds Come Here and Get Flesh!
And tartans (historical movie):